UUFSMA Process for Announcements and
Distribution of Information at Sunday Services
- Announcements made from the pulpit during Sunday services (oral) should concern Fellowship matters only, i.e., Circle Cenas, special Fellowship business meetings, Blue plate special collections, or pledge drive. They can be delivered either by the service leader or the member involved/responsible for the event. A brief announcement will also be made at this time to mention the table(s) set up by various named NGOs or other organizations selected by the Social Action Committee - see #3.
- Joys and Concerns: no oral announcements will be appropriate during this time in the service and the service leader will continue to remind the congregation of this policy.
- Brief announcements may be printed in the Order of Service (OOS), but they will be restricted to events and business of the grantees of UUFSMA, to events involving members or friends of the Fellowship, or events sponsored by the UUA. Requests should be made by a member or friend of the fellowship.The announcements will be limited to a half page, so inclusion will be on a first come/first serve basis and may be reformatted. Final decision for inclusion rests with the Social Action Committee. The request for an announcement should be made electronically to Christie McGue at firstname.lastname@example.org. The request must be made six (6) days prior to the service in order to be included.
- Distribution of flyers may be made by groups or individuals provided the organization/topic is one that is consistent with the seven guiding Unitarian Universalist (UU) principles. Distribution may be made by leaving the materials on the table at the entrance or after service by the member or friend involved with the event.
- Local organizations and NGOs may set up tables to promote their work and events, provided they are consistent with the seven guiding UU principles. The tables should be set up in the area designated for coffee and socializing and a representative of the organization/event should be present. Posters and graphic displays are encouraged. The tables and any displays must be set up by 10:15 in order to not disrupt the service or coffee social time after the service. Prior permission to set up a table, either for a one-time event or for a longer period should be secured from the SAC. The request to set up a table display should be made electronically to Christie McGue at email@example.com. The request must be made at least six days prior to the service they want to attend. A response to their request will be forwarded within 36 hours. Christie will also notify the Sunday Services Committee or the Service Coordinator so that their attendance can be recognized during oral announcements.